Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I recently bought an under-the-sink drinking water filter, a model from GE, and I got stuck trying to hook it up to the cold water line.

The package came with a simple plastic tee that had a 1/2 inch MIP, a 1/2 inch FIP, and a 1/4 inch connection for the tubing that goes to the filter. My trouble is that I don't have any 1/2 inch connections after the shut-off valve -- the connections there are 3/8 inch compression connections (I'm slowly learning the difference between the various fitting types).

I've been trying to find fittings that would let me adapt the plastic fitting that came with the filter for my situation, something like the following:

shut-off -> 3/8 fem comp x 1/2 mip -> plastic tee -> 1/2 tip x 3/8 male comp -> water line to existing fixture

But I can't seem to find anything like a 3/8" female compression to 1/2" MIP adapter. It also seems like having more joints in a plumbing system might cause problems, so using the fewest fittings possible sounds like a good idea.

Is there a better way to do this? Some way of avoiding the included plastic tee?

So, to restate my problem, how can I accomplish the following:

shut-off, 3/8" m comp -> 3/8" f comp x 3/8" m comp -> 3/8" f comp fixture line
                         1/4" quick connect tube
share|improve this question
FYI: MIP = Male Iron Pipe, FIP = Female Iron Pipe – Tester101 Feb 11 '13 at 20:41
up vote 3 down vote accepted

You're going to need to get a 3/8" x 3/8" x 1/4" brass tee, like this one from Home Depot.

enter image description here

Then you'll simply screw the tee onto the male end of the shutoff valve (where the cold water supply line should currently be attached). Attach the supply line (that you removed from the shutoff valve) to the male end of the tee. Finish the installation by attaching the tubing to the 1/4" outlet using a compression fitting (Which should be included with either the filter or the tee).

share|improve this answer
The link, picture, and description are all very helpful! My local Home Depot and OSH didn't have anything like that in stock (and I certainly looked...). – Casey Marshall Feb 11 '13 at 21:24
I just found this at a plumbing supply place ... or I should say, the plumbing supply place figured it out for me. Also try Amazon under the name Watts female adapter ... good luck – user21941 Jun 5 '14 at 19:00
Déjà vu – Tester101 Jun 6 '14 at 10:24

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.