Take the 2-minute tour ×
Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I recently bought what I thought was pressure treated railing pickets. But now that I look more carefully at the label, there is no UC code. My understanding is that each piece of PT has to be labeled with a UC code. This looks like PT, but the tag just says WeatherShield, and on the back of the tag: "Do not burn treated wood", and "Above Ground Use Only".

Does anyone have experience with this, or can tell me what it really is?

share|improve this question
add comment

2 Answers

It's pressure-treated just under a different process that is "greener". See the PDF here. If it's treated, then there are preservatives in the wood to prevent rot and as an insect-repellant.

share|improve this answer
Hmm, how did you find this link? It is on the HD site, which is where I bought. "Osmose MicroPro" is similar sounding but different than my labeling "PROWOOD MICRO CA". The trouble with these kinds of descriptions is that they seem cover multiple product choices, and how can I know what I really have... –  Chris Noe Oct 29 '10 at 21:15
@Chris: It is on the Home Depot link provided by Mike Powell. –  staticx Oct 30 '10 at 15:50
add comment

I don't have any experience with it, but here's Home Depot's WeatherShield page. That page mentions a limited lifetime warranty, which (assuming you purchased these at HD) you could probably get a copy of at the store if you're concerned.

share|improve this answer
Unfortunately the installation effort far out-strips the product's sticker price, and so no warranty is as important as knowledge and track record. - I'm replacing the builder's wood after 10 years, and I painted that 3 times. –  Chris Noe Oct 29 '10 at 2:17
add comment

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.