Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm curious how large heating vents can typically be when connecting to in-wall registers. Do they fill up the entire space between studs?

I'm framing for some drywall patches and would ideally not like to make life too much harder when we get central heating (a couple years from now).


share|improve this question
Not an HVAC expert, but I think it depends on the size of the space to be heated and the size of the HVAC system. From what I've typically seen cold air returns take up the entire gap between the studs, but heat vents do not. – Tester101 Oct 29 '10 at 15:18
Is there something about your house that makes you think the new registers would need to go in the walls? I think that typically when central HVAC is retrofitted registers are placed in the floor or ceiling, where there's easy access from the basement/crawlspace or attic. – Mike Powell Oct 29 '10 at 16:08
up vote 2 down vote accepted

Here's a link to a manufacturer of various types of wall ducts; the wallstack and register stackheads page shows the size of openings that you can have. Looks like your choices are 2 1/4" or 3 1/4" deep, by 10", 12" or 14" wide.

share|improve this answer
Perfect. Thanks! – Mike B Oct 30 '10 at 20:26

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.