Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have a lot of walls that slant inward. To measure the angles at which they slant inwards, I used an app that looks like:

enter image description here

Was this the correct tool? Assuming it was, do I need to make sure I get the Y value to be as close to 0 as possible before taking the reading of the X value (which ultimately gives me the wall angle)?

share|improve this question
up vote 5 down vote accepted

You could maybe use the phone App tool but you would still have to translate the angle reading into lines on the pieces of wood. A far better tool was invented long long ago that direct measures the angle and then allows for direct transfer to the wood. It is called a carpenters bevel or a bevel square.

enter image description here

enter image description here

share|improve this answer
Brilliant. Thanks. – maxedison Jan 28 '13 at 2:55

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.