Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

This valve has a slow leak, and I am trying to replace it. Problem is I can't get the thing off. I am trying to twist the compression nut (the bronze one closest to the white pipe) clockwise while holding the valve in place. Am I doing this wrong?

Here's a picture of the valve: enter image description here

share|improve this question
When you replace the valve, I'd highly recommend replacing it with a quarter-turn ball valve. They're slightly more expensive, but much easier to shut-off (and when you need to shut off a toilet, you NEED to shut off a toilet) and way more reliable long-term. – gregmac Jan 23 '13 at 15:45
up vote 7 down vote accepted

I don't think that is a compression fitting, it looks more like the valve is threaded. Have you tried just turning the valve (silver in color) and not the brass fitting (which is probably soldered onto the pipe)?

share|improve this answer
I agree, it looks like threads covered in dope. Try holding the copper/brass piece stationary, while turning the valve body anticlockwise (Lefty Loosey). – Tester101 Jan 23 '13 at 12:22
first time I have heard the term anti-clockwise. I'd only ever heard/used counter-clockwise before. Wikipedia says its a commonwealth English term (counter is North American). I learn something every day :) – Steven Jan 23 '13 at 14:54
Thanks. I will try this out a little bit later on today. – Michael Jan 23 '13 at 17:36
@ Steven, at least anti-clockwise is intuitive. What if he used widdershins? Or for tightening, deasil. Scottish origins I believe :) – bcworkz Jan 23 '13 at 22:14

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.