Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

My father told me there is a kind of cement which also acts as glue. This would be very useful for me to put back the tiles above my washbasin.

tiles fallen off

Is there really a cement that can glue tiles to the wall?

share|improve this question
From c. Bennet: Be wary of the additives (mastics and polymer)in thinsets people are recommending as they contain hazardous chemicals many would rather not have in their home. – Daniel Griscom Jan 2 at 23:19
up vote 3 down vote accepted

That's not actually "cement as glue", that's a cement-based compound modified with various trade secret components for better plasticity and adhesion. It's usually called "thin-set mortar" and it's widely widespread.

Since we likely live in different regions I'd rather not recommend any brand to you - you have your local brands.

share|improve this answer

well from what I can see it looks like that is a thinset material but looks thick to me? thinset is a cementitious material, however, when I placed tiles on my walls I used a vinyl adhesive made to apply wall tiles to a drywall backing it is easy to use and does not need to be mixed up.

share|improve this answer

What you are looking for is called mastic or tile mastic. It's specifically for wall tile installation. It can also be used for floor tile but I wouldn't recommend it. Simple rule applys here, if you are installing floor tile use thin-set mortar. For wall tile use mastic.

Thin set can be used on walls but only if you use a concrete wall board such as durarock. It's very cumbersome and laborious to use on walls it's not really designed for that even though it works. The inverse applys to mastic on floor tile installation. Hope this helps.

share|improve this answer
Mastic should ONLY be used in areas that are not exposed to moisture, or can get wet, mastic will break down and promote mold growth. Thinset is for high water areas, such as a shower, or kitchen counter, backsplash. – user27413 Oct 28 '14 at 16:49

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.