Take the 2-minute tour ×
Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I have screw holes which were put in to support a curtain rail. The curtain's been pulled out a few times by accident, and now the screw holes are crumbling and I don't know how to repair that portion of the wall.

I want to get it firm again, then re-drill and put the rail back up. It's a plastered brick wall.

What should I do to repair the crumbling holes in the wall caused by the dislodged screws?

share|improve this question
What kind of wall do you have? Is it dot and dab plasterboard (i.e. is there a space between the plaster and the masonry)? –  pm_2 Oct 24 '10 at 11:54
add comment

2 Answers

I've found that the easiest solution is to use filler on the holes and plaster work to get a smooth finish and then drill new holes somewhere else.

Obviously you haven't got much choice if you're putting up a curtain rail.

Another solution might be to screw a wooden board to the wall and then screw the curtain rail to that. You can choose where you fix the board and then you've got something solid to screw the rail to.

You can either paint it the same colour as the wall to blend in, or the same colour as the window to make it look like a part of that.

share|improve this answer
add comment

There are epoxy repair systems for wood. It should work here too. Once it hardens, the epoxy is a tough, sandable, paintable medium that can de drilled. Make sure it keys properly into the hole, so that it does not just pull free under load. This may involve an undercut if necessary.

In fact, I just checked, and there are epoxies available specifically for masonry repair too, but the wood product should be sufficient here, and is easily found in most home stores.

An alternative might be to add a flat wood molding behind the entire length of rod. 3/8 of an inch thick should be sufficient. Paint to match the wall. Now anchor the curtain rod to the wood, using expanding drywall anchors, if necessary.

share|improve this answer
add comment

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.