Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

My house has several wall-mounted gas heaters.

All but one of them have external, easily accessible thermostats. However, the one that happens to be the most used has no remotely mounted thermostat, to change the temperature you have to open the cover at the base, and adjust a knob at the base of the heater.

Is there any way to retrofit this heater with a simple remote thermostat? Ideally, I'd like something really simple. All the other heaters I have just use contact-closure (e.g. 2 wire, I think) thermostats, not the programmable electronic kinds, and that's all I really want for this heater too.

The heater doesn't currently have any connections for electrical, so an Ideal solution would not require any electrical power. However, I'm not sure if this is possible. I can run power to the heater if I have to, but I'd sure like to avoid any drywall work.

Heater pictures:

enter image description here

enter image description here

Edit - More Information:

The whole burner assembly is completely separate from the actual heater. It looks like the whole burner, with valve assembly, can be separated from the heater with the removal of just two screws.

Anyways, the heater model is a Williams 35 GV-C-5T NAT (I think. See picture):
enter image description here

The burner assembly and valve is a RobertShaw Grayson 7000 SRLC:
enter image description here

Of note is that on the instruction plates in the heater, there are several diagrams that show a similar valve that supports a remote thermostat:
enter image description here
enter image description here

However, in both cases, the images are for a 7000 M VRLC or M VRCLC, while the heater I have is a S RLC.

share|improve this question
This unit has a pilot light on all the time? No electrical internal ignition? – shirlock homes Jan 13 '13 at 12:16
@shirlockhomes - Correct (well, except when I turn the pilot off for the summer, but then I have to manually re-light it in the winter). – Fake Name Jan 13 '13 at 12:24
Holy crap, a 7000 MVRLC valve is ~$150! – Fake Name Jan 14 '13 at 7:46
How do I distinguish a valve that will work with my wall-unit from one that won't? – Fake Name Jan 14 '13 at 7:48

I think what you have is a mechanical thermocouple sensor that is connected to the regulator. This is the same as one would have in an RV. They do not use any electricity, and the thermostat is part of the gas regulator. The only remote I am aware of would be a remote thermocouple. I'm not sure if your unit has a removable sensor. If it does, then you can place the sensor elsewhere, but you will still have to set the desired temp on the dial in the unit. There is no actual remote thermostat for this type of unit that I am aware of.

share|improve this answer
In that case, could I replace the whole valve assembly? I'm willing to take the whole burner out and replace it, if need be. – Fake Name Jan 13 '13 at 15:43
If you can post the make and model it would be much easier to research a conversion valve for ya. – shirlock homes Jan 13 '13 at 15:47
One issue to consider when replacing the valve assembly is that upon removing the old one you may lose the direct temperature sensing in the furnace itself wherein you may end up with no over temperature cutout. That could be a big safety concern. – Michael Karas Jan 13 '13 at 16:02
@MichaelKaras - I don't think that'll be a problem, as there doesn't seem to be any overtemperature cutout at all. Remember, this is a heater from the 60s/70s. – Fake Name Jan 14 '13 at 7:30

The style of gas valve you have has a separate temperature sensor which cannot be adapted to a remote thermostat. It also uses a "thermocouple" to ensure your safety if the pilot light is extinguished.

You can install the gas valve with a "M" code designation, this one works with a "Powerpile" type of control, it generates its own power for a remote thermostat. But be prepared, these valves are expensive!

share|improve this answer

On a Coleman wall furnace with a standing pilot, I used a Honeywell V800A1070. I threw in a 24V step-down transformer wall thermostat and I also didn't have any rollout protection. It runs on one setting until the thermostat is satisfied.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.