Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

A two way light switch allows the light to be controlled from two locations, how does this work?

share|improve this question
up vote 6 down vote accepted

There might be some confusion because the type of switch you need (single-pole, double-throw) is usually called a three-way switch in the US, and a two-way switch in the UK. So for two switches to control the same lights, you need two SPDT switches, and you can find the wiring diagram on Wikipedia.

share|improve this answer
This is something that has always confused me - thanks – Mark Henderson Jul 23 '10 at 4:23

Between the two switches is another cable wire connecting both switches. then they both work like train track switches alternating the on/off current to the fixture.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.