Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I need to move some breakers (and attached wires) from the upper part of my electrical panel to the lower part but the wires I need to move aren't long enough to reach their new location.

Is it safe and legal/to code to pigtail a little piece of extension wire in the panel? I know that to make any kind of junction you have to do it in a box, so does the panel count towards 'being in a box'?

share|improve this question
Related: diy.stackexchange.com/questions/5545/…. At the time, the answer was "it depends on where you live", but I don't know if things have changed with NEC 2011. – Niall C. Jan 5 '13 at 15:56
up vote 6 down vote accepted

You should check with your local inspection agency.

Different locales use different revisions of the code. They also may have their own addenda to the NEC. Furthermore, inspector interprets the code differently.

With all that in mind:

share|improve this answer
good find. thanks. – stu Jan 6 '13 at 2:30

what i recommend is finding the source if your wire. hopefully in the attic going through cap plate of wall, down inside wall to the panel. find enough slack in the wire to pull and feed that extra wire to the panel, allowing you to reach your new breaker locations.

code almost anywhere would only allow changing by splicing, if you use a junction box outside of the panel, always check your local code

share|improve this answer
please elaborate, I'm a newbie. Splicing in this context means what exactly? based on where you put the commas in your sentence, I'm not sure if you mean "by splicing in a junction box outside the panel" or not. Thanks for clarification. – stu Jan 6 '13 at 1:14

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.