Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have a small wooden table (ikea) where the legs screw into the table top.

The hole - into which one of the legs screw in - became wider, so now the leg is wobbly.

How would I fix this?

Is there a substance which I can refill the hole with and then drill a [narrower] hole into so that I can re screw the leg in tightly?

share|improve this question
See also: diy.stackexchange.com/questions/5729/… – BMitch Dec 31 '12 at 21:10
up vote 2 down vote accepted

I'd use epoxy putty. It gets very hard and sticks tenaciously to almost anything. It would be a good idea to dig out the hole a little to make it larger at the bottom so the hard plug of dried epoxy is too big to come out of the hole. If it is IKEA it is probably particle board under veneer and wont offer much strength for the glue to stick, the surface is friable. This is why you should enlarge the hole, to give the glue a better chance of staying in place. Pack the hole with the putty. wait for it to harden overnight. Drill a hole appropriately sized for the fastener and screw it back in gently. Good as its gonna get for fixing IKEA.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.