Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I came across this tool called "concretors' nippers"


I guess they are for some operations with concrete reinforcement, but can't find any details.

What operations is this tool for specifically? Where do I find more info?

share|improve this question
I'm pretty sure that's what the orthodontist used to remove my braces. – Joe Dec 26 '12 at 16:48

These are used to tie rebar wire around rebars - twisting the wire around the rebars, and then cutting the left over. Rebars are used prior to pouring the concrete to strengthen the concrete, hence the tool name.

They are also called "end-nippers", and are useful for cutting or grabbing things close to the surface, such as nails or the like. Finally, they can be used to cut tiles, however I have no experience with this function and can't comment on it.

See this nice little PDF that shows a picture of the two uses of this tool (no affiliation, just what Google came up with).

share|improve this answer
Those pictures show pretty thin wire being twisted. Is such huge leverage really necessary for that? – sharptooth Dec 25 '12 at 14:22
Yes, rebar tie wire is pretty thin. I think that this tool is a general purpose one - also used for cutting nails and tiles, so the leverage is used there. – Eli Iser Dec 25 '12 at 14:42
If you've been wiring up rebar all day, you come to appreciate that leverage. So, no. Another nifty tool you'll come to appreciate is a hook twister. – Fiasco Labs Dec 25 '12 at 22:32
Tile nippers usually leave a small gap in the cutting edge when completely closed. This leads me to believe they are for cutting and twisting wire but not for tile. – mikes Dec 25 '12 at 23:05
This was the only tool I had that could cut the twisted wire for my Dog run I installed the other day. Thanks, did not know what it was called. – geoffc Dec 25 '12 at 23:25

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.