Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

After removing the carpet from our bathroom closet, I found urine stains on the plywood sub-floor (serenity now).

It sounds bad but the floors are quite sturdy so I'm reasonably certain that it's a superficial stain. What would be the recommended way of cleaning it (short of removing/replacing the sub-floor).

I'm planning to eventually place carpeting back in the closet so I'm not concerned with leaving a mark. Just want to make sure it's sanitary and odor-free.


share|improve this question
up vote 3 down vote accepted

I use Zep pet spotter, but it's intended for carpets, not wood. I think mop it with a dilute solution of chlorine bleach to sanitize the area, then seal it with a primer / sealer to prevent any residual odors from escaping.

share|improve this answer
Just an update -- primer/sealer seemed to work the best after trying a variety of different cleaning products. Thanks! – Mike B Oct 28 '10 at 16:29
I've heard that cleaning with bleach can actually encourage animals to use this area again. – Tester101 Jan 14 '14 at 16:38

What you want to look for are cleaners that are enzyme cleaners. These products actually break down the urine/biological waste. One example (that I use quite often) is Nature's Miracle.

share|improve this answer

I just love Nok Out.

I successfully removed cat urine odors from furniture, matresses and laminated flooring with it.

share|improve this answer

I would try oxygen bleach, in particular Stainsolver - see stainsolver.com. I'm not selling it, and in no way associated with it other than being a happy customer.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.