Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I just bought a property and it has a passthrough, ventless fireplace that runs on propane.

I've not hooked up propane to the house, and the natural gas company says they'll hook me up for free. However, the fireplace is currently configured to run off of propane.

I tired to call the manufacturer, but they wont talk to me and told me to call a dealership, which I did. They say it's impossible, and I'll have to buy a new log set, and since it's a double sided log set, they start at a price that's way above my budget.

However, all the log sets they sell can come configured as either propane or natural gas, and my research indicates that all I have to do to convert it is to replace the regulator and the orifices with ones designed for natural gas.

Is my research correct, or is the dealer correct?

This log set has been discontinued recently (it's less than six years old), where can I find the parts I need, and which parts do I need?

share|improve this question
Many gas appliances can run on either natural gas or propane, as you've discovered, but maybe the dealer is telling you that they don't make or carry the right regulator for your model? I would try the manufacturer again; perhaps the dealer is just trying to upsell you. In any event, I would not jerry-rig a regulator from a different fireplace unless you get a professional to OK it. – Henry Jackson Dec 13 '12 at 18:30
I found an online dealership selling parts for the fireplace, and it looks like the fireplace has a separate set of parts for natural gas, and propane. I just need to figure out which parts to buy. – Malfist Dec 13 '12 at 19:13
Well that sounds promising: you know that 1) your model was available for natural gas, and 2) there's a dealership that still stocks parts for it. Why don't you email them directly and ask them? – Henry Jackson Dec 13 '12 at 19:28
As you are using an unvented gas appliance I would invest in a carbon monoxide detector. – mikes Dec 14 '12 at 1:01
You need to post vendor & model to have a hope of an answer to 'which parts do I need'? A photo would help a lot also, in terms of advice. – Bryce Dec 12 '13 at 19:10

The short answer is all you need is a new orifice.

The complicated answer is : don't do that. Ventless systems have been banned in various places, and come with significant hazards not fully mitigated by a carbon monoxide detector. Read for instance : http://www.energyvanguard.com/blog-building-science-HERS-BPI/bid/48762/Bob-Vila-and-the-Vent-Free-Gas-Fireplace-A-Sorry-State-of-Affairs

A choice quote: "After doing research, we decided we would never put a vent-free (room vented) appliance into our home. Because of this decision, we didn't believe it would be right to sell them to our customers."

I would suggest asking a different question "how can I vent this ventless gas log set?". You could also calculate the number of heating days : if this is just decoration perhaps it's cheaper to just run it on propane until it dies.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.