Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I need to remove the face of a fake drawer that is screwed from behind. Unfortunately, a kitchen sink is preventing me from using a screwdriver. There is approximatively 4cm of space. The screw head is a PZ2. Is there a tool can could help me remove this screw ?

share|improve this question
up vote 22 down vote accepted

For tight spots, they make Offset Screwdrivers.

enter image description hereenter image description here

They're manufactured by many different companies, with many different drive variations.

share|improve this answer
I still have not tested but I like it. That's the kind of tool I had in mind. – alecail Dec 11 '12 at 18:41

You can use a ratchet handle with a screwdriver bit attachment, like this:

enter image description here

share|improve this answer
Is there any need for a special attachment to hold the bit? I've always just used a regular socket of the appropriate size. If you're really cramped for space a ratchet handle with a build in screwdriver bit socket can be more compact than a standard ratchet + socket combination. ex newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA0400009762 – Dan Neely Dec 10 '12 at 16:22
@DanNeely that really depends on the ratchet handle. Some fit the bits without connectors, some don't. – The Evil Greebo Dec 10 '12 at 16:26

If you have them a socket driver with the appropriate attachments is the best way, if not then you may have to improvise.

Using what you're likely to have in hand you can make a rig using a PZ2 bit and a locking pliers. You lock the pliers on the driver end of the bit, maneuver it into the gap, then use one hand to stabilize the bit and push it into the screw while you use the other to turn the bit using the pliers. Also, you can use a closed end of a combination wrench to turn the bit.

share|improve this answer

Right Angle Driver: (likely available at your local store from random manufacturers)

enter image description here


share|improve this answer

Here are a few solutions that are actually usable if you need to improvise. They are clearly not optimal, but it would certainly have helped me at the time I asked the question. I didn't own a multi tool back then. T he four solutions are based on Leatherman multi-tools (Sidekick and Rebar) in this specific case.

Leatherman multitools are sometimes sold with a flat carabiner which can drive bits.

enter image description here enter image description here enter image description here enter image description here

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.