Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I want to use these lugs on my electrical installation, but I can only find pliers for up to 16 mm2 cables and the mains cables are 25 mm2. I found one store that carried pliers able to do up to 50 mm2, but they where VERY expensive (about 150 dollars).

Is it possible to use these nice lugs without proper pliers? (I will need to crimp at most 8 lugs).

share|improve this question
is this going on 4 AWG wire? – shirlock homes Dec 4 '12 at 21:52
Closer to 3 AWG. – Luiz Borges Dec 5 '12 at 9:19
is this a ground wire? What is it's purpose? – shirlock homes Dec 5 '12 at 10:38
These are supply wires (2 phases) coming from the meter to the breaker and from the breaker to que distribution panel. I realise that I don't need those lugs, but I wanted to use them just to make it more tidy. – Luiz Borges Dec 5 '12 at 10:39
Did you realize that in most every State in the USA, only a Master Electrician is allowed to connect conductors from a meter to a distribution panel. Most utility companies will not turn on power unless a master has signed off on the job. – shirlock homes Dec 5 '12 at 10:44
up vote 2 down vote accepted

Now that I know the wire in question is in a main distribution panel from the meter to the main lugs, any crimp must be done with the proper tool and dies. This will require maybe a ton of pressure and absolutely no shortcuts would be advised. Also note that this type of work usually requires the sign off and supervision of a Master Electrician. Check with your local electrical utility for inspection and sign off requirements. Please be careful, this is potentially extremely dangerous and a great risk of fire if not done properly.

share|improve this answer
+1 Thanks Shirlock. – Rory Alsop Dec 5 '12 at 11:00
I'm in Brazil. Those cables are the "setup" for a meter panel. The process is standardized and describe the cables and connections left in the meter panel and at the top of the pole. After that the eletric company verifies this setup, installs the meter and then connect the cables left on the top of the pole to the live mains line. BTW: There is no such thing as a Master Electrician in Brazil. There are electricians that generally do a fair to poor job. If you want something according to the standard you have to DIY. Also, terminal lugs arent't needed on the standard I wanted to add them. – Luiz Borges Dec 6 '12 at 21:13

You could try a vice or possibly some metal bar clamps if you have them around?

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.