Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

The door is heavy and people usually put a lot of force to close it, resulting in a violent shock, and the noise that comes with it. Is there a way to prevent the shock, without having a door that is hard to move. I was thinking of something like a door closer, but I don't want the door to resist when it's fully open.

Is there something to would put a certain amount of resistance when the door is ajar?

share|improve this question
up vote 4 down vote accepted

Yes, they tend to just be called Door Closers. They have a spring and a damper (oil or pneumatic) to slow the closing. They look like this:

enter image description here

Taken from http://www.doorstuff.co.uk/door-closers.php

share|improve this answer
Some of these also have the ability stay fully open, preventing the closer from engaging. Once you close it a bit, the closer will close it all the way. – gregmac Nov 25 '12 at 19:23

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.