Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

My contractor just installed a Delta Arzo Two Handle Widspread Lavatory 3586LF into a Kohler Persuade Curv top and basin lavatory, K-2956-8.

The problem is that the horizontal rod for the popup drain is not long enough to connect to the lifting rod strap. This is because the drain is too far from where the faucet is mounted in the sink.

What is the typical solution to this type of problem?

share|improve this question
How long does the pop-up rod need to be? I'm sure I've seen some long replacement rods (maybe 1ft?) at Home Depot... – Niall C. Oct 7 '10 at 14:41
@Niall: That sounds like a better solution than custom-making one. Is this what you remember seeing? homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xih/R-100557521/h_d2/… – Doresoom Oct 7 '10 at 14:46
@Doresoom: that and its cousin. @user898: be sure to bring the original rod to the store so you can compare; they all look alike but can be subtly different. – Niall C. Oct 7 '10 at 14:49
@Niall: Great point! I don't know how many times I've gone to HD or Lowes and pushed a screw or other hardware partway through the packaging to make sure it fit. I really need to get one of these: threadtoolsupply.com/sae-inch-screw-checker.html – Doresoom Oct 7 '10 at 14:56
up vote 2 down vote accepted

EDIT: Niall C. suggested finding a replacement rod that fits. Home depot has a few sizes on-line, but they may have more in the store. I'd try this solution before custom-making one.

Depending on the design of the horizontal rod, you may be able to replace it with a length of steel rod with the same diameter.

From what I can tell of the parts diagram , you may be able to slide some hardware off of the original rod and back on to your custom cut rod of the same diameter. If the original rod is threaded at one end, you could get a tap and die set or see if threaded rod would work.

share|improve this answer
Finding a replacement rather that using a coupler sounds like the best solution. I found a delta replacement at Lowes and I will see if that works. Thanks for all the help. I will report back if the solution doesn't end up working. – user898 Oct 8 '10 at 14:01

I found a drain kit at Home Depot that has a plastic L shaped rod connector as part of the kit. The whole thing cost $4.85 so it was a cheap fix. I attached the connector with hose clamps since the rods in the kit were slightly larger than my brushed nickel rods.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.