Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I live in an old victorian house. Some of the walls seem to have pebbles inside then you get so far and there is flint, the drill won't go any further. Its a nightmare putting anything on the wall!

Is there anything I can use to drill through this stone?!! Thanks!

share|improve this question
Have you tried using a concrete drill bit? – Steven Nov 17 '12 at 15:34
just used an sds hammer drill and it worked wonders! – serenskye Nov 17 '12 at 17:39
You can write that as an answer to your own question, and accept it. – Jay Bazuzi Nov 17 '12 at 18:53

For flint you will need a diamond coated drill bit, SDS plus drill bits on hammer won't cut it. If the item is big try to drill somewhere else where the motar is. Flint is a nightmare!

share|improve this answer

The first drill to try in this situation would be a standard hammer drill. If this was not powerful enough you could try a SDS Hammer Drill.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.