Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have a friend who lives in an apartment with terrible water hammer problems which the management is unwilling to fix.

I'm curious if there is a product or device that would attach, for instance, to a faucet with the faucet on that would act as a water hammer arrestor. I haven't seen anything like that, and I expect that even if it did exist it wouldn't help too much as it's not near the source of the problem, and the pipes would still rattle, but even if it helped a little he might get more sleep.

Right now it feels like someone's hitting his walls with a sledgehammer a few times an hour as other people in the building use the supply.

share|improve this question
NO! .................... – shirlock homes Oct 25 '12 at 22:41
Adding to the NO... You can get water hammer arrestors that screw onto your washing machine tap – UNECS Oct 26 '12 at 7:33
up vote 9 down vote accepted

Pretty much, no. To reduce the noise you need to secure the pipes properly within the walls, and add pressure-relief tubes to the pipes that hold air in them beyond and above each fixture.

You cannot affect the pressure within the closed system of the plumbing by changing something on the outside of the system... so at a minimum you have to at least open the walls - something the landlord will frown on...

share|improve this answer
I commented with a one word. LOL – shirlock homes Oct 25 '12 at 22:42
AHA! Now I can go back to Home Improvement Meta! :D – The Evil Greebo Oct 26 '12 at 0:14

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.