Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

We have a glass cooker hob (glass top stove) where the black glass has chipped at one edge. Is there a repair system that will hide the damage?

I am looking for something that is gloss block that will stick on the glass, so as to hide the chips.

This is what I mean by a "cooker hob" alt text

share|improve this question
Is this perhaps about a glass cook top for a kitchen stove? Or something else? – user558 Sep 20 '10 at 18:19
@woodchips: I would guess so. According to cooking.SE a British 'hob' is an American range or stove. – yhw42 Sep 20 '10 at 19:11
Use an epoxy ...they sell them in all kinds of colors. :) – user32299 Feb 1 '15 at 6:03
up vote 2 down vote accepted

This apparently is for a smooth glass top on a stove. GE sells them, perhaps others now. Traditionally, the word is that these are generally replaced when cracked. A small chip on the edge may not be worth replacing the top (which is EXPENSIVE from what I've heard) until that crack chooses to propagate. The problem is, heat stresses in glass tend to turn small cracks into big ones.

You might ask the manufacturer, but I'll bet a large sum of money they have no interest in repair anyway. They want to sell you a new top.

The first solution I would think of is a high temperature silicon caulk. You can buy it in a tube, and it does come in black. I don't know how much it hardens though.

If not that, I would look for a high temperature epoxy. You can get colorants for epoxy.

share|improve this answer
What is "caulk"? I have never seen it for sale in the UK – Walker Sep 21 '10 at 7:59
This stuff, if you can find it in black. I know that I have done so in the past. The problem is, it tends to stay flexible. accentshopping.com/product.asp?P_ID=152285 – user558 Sep 21 '10 at 10:00

If it's only chipped, and not actually a crack forming, I'd think that you'd be able to just add a little bit of trim over the very edge. The glass doesn't tend to get too hot over on the sides, but there'd be a good chance of taking a hot pan, and it coming into contact, so you'd want something that could take heat (so not most plastics). It's possible that they'd sell it at home improvement type stores ... I hate that little gap between my stove and my counter, as something always falls in there and you have to go fish it out.

If it's started cracking, I'd actually think about getting one of those glue & vaccuum kits they use for repairing car windshields, where you use a vacuum to try to force the glue into the crack, let it cure, and then scrape off any surface residue. I'm guessing they use CA glue (cyanoacrylate, aka "super glue"), but I don't know how thick -- the thicker ones have a longer cure time, but they won't penetrate as well due to capillary action. You'd want to check to make sure that it's a CA mix that's rated for use on glass. (pure CAs don't stick well to glass)

share|improve this answer

protected by Community Mar 5 '15 at 0:53

Thank you for your interest in this question. Because it has attracted low-quality or spam answers that had to be removed, posting an answer now requires 10 reputation on this site (the association bonus does not count).

Would you like to answer one of these unanswered questions instead?

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.