Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I need two rollers replaced in my attic loft pull down staircase - the big ones on the picture. These drums have tension spring inside that helps to pull the stairs up and down.

The mechanism is quite similar to sectional garage doors but garage door contractors I have called would not even go past "oh, we only do garage doors"

Where would I look for these parts? Or for a whole new rope system if nothing else.

(I have no idea who and when built that staircase)


share|improve this question
@mikes, please enter answers as answers instead of comments. – Vebjorn Ljosa Oct 3 '12 at 10:41
Have you tried looking for any manufacturers tags or labels on the frame? If there are none look on line for pull down staircase makers. If you find something even similar see if thet have a local installer/dealer – mikes Oct 3 '12 at 21:57
Disagree with recommendation to close - this question isn't localized - it's asking what a part is called. – The Evil Greebo Oct 4 '12 at 11:44
@mikes Sorry for the confusion. You were right the first time. chat.stackexchange.com/transcript/message/6369655#6369655 – BMitch Oct 4 '12 at 13:00
up vote 1 down vote accepted

I suspect you'll need to go directly to the manufacturer for this one. The only thing I've seen from the HI stores are fold down style of stairs.

For your pull down style, the first result I found in a Google search (so no affiliation or endorsement) is Bessler Stairway Company. They have parts for door and stringer spring tension drums, pulleys for the door cables, and the cables for the door and stringers. If you cannot identify your model, you may want to contact a manufacturer to see if their parts are generic or interchangeable with other manufacturers, or if they can help identify your model.

share|improve this answer
Thank you! There are no labels, apparently it was built with the house 30 years ago, but Bessler company you found has model 100 that looks just like what I have! Will give them a call. Thanks again! – sergeb Oct 7 '12 at 7:15

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.