Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

There's currently some kind of solid filling between the tiles in my kitchen and the hard wood in my living room. During the summer when it gets hot and humid, the hard wood expand and cracks the solid filling. After a couple of years, there's not much left of the filling. Here's how it looks:

Wood to tile

That filling is also used to connect hard floor from living room to my bedroom:

Wood to wood

What should I use to re-fill those gaps so that when summer come, the filling doesn't crack and break? I'm fairly new to DIY, so links to the mats and tools needed are much appreciated.

share|improve this question
up vote 4 down vote accepted

If you don't want to use a transition, you could consider using a sanded caulk on the wood to tile spot; that will have some give in it. I used that between ceramic tile and wood, and it worked well.

If that still has too much movement, a silicone should work, but it likely won't look as nice.

share|improve this answer
What's the name of sanded caulk on the tub? I'm doing a search in rona web site and they all look like regular caulk: rona.ca/… – Thierry Lam Sep 30 '12 at 4:40
I have only ever seen it referred to as "Sanded Caulk" or "Sanded ceramic tile caulk". In my local stores, it's with the ceramic tile supplies. – Eric Gunnerson Sep 30 '12 at 5:20
I wouldn't use sanded latex caulk; it collects dirt way too easily. I would use silicone. I personally prefer Latasil, which is made for flooring and shower applications and acts as a movement joint as well. – Karl Katzke Sep 30 '12 at 20:29

You want to look for pieces called hardwood flooring transitions. They can either be "T" pieces, reducers, or threshold pieces. Here are some examples: enter image description here

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.