Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

So I had a bit of a flood (tap overflowing) and the wooden floor in my house was under an inch of water for a few hours. It's drying out now, and is a bit warped but otherwise fine. I need to wait until it's dry to assess the damage and move the furniture back downstairs, but what I don't know is how to tell when it's dried out. What moisture content should the floor have? What should I measure it with?

If I need to provide more details etc. then let me know. All answers/links to relevant info will be much appreciated!

share|improve this question
up vote 7 down vote accepted

Get yourself a moisture meter ($30~) and test the floor at various points.

Wood is rarely COMPLETELY dry (as in no moisture at all) - but you definitely want a moisture content that compares to other wood in your house that was not flooded.

Example of a moisture meter enter image description here

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.