Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I am trying to learn what this small blue cupboard on the left side of the table is called? It's a corner cupboard but I am not sure what the technical term is: enter image description here

share|improve this question
"corner hutch"? – DA01 Sep 5 '12 at 20:30
A corner cabinet? – The Evil Greebo Sep 6 '12 at 12:18

I am not certain what you mean by a "technical term" for it. I would call it a corner hutch or a corner display hutch or maybe a corner bookcase.

Why corner? Because it is shaped to fit in a corner.

Why hutch? A hutch is sometimes something that sits on top of a bureau, table, desk, or other piece of flat-topped furniture. However, hutches can also be a free-standing shelved storage units with doors. The impression people have of "hutch" will vary by region.

Why bookcase? It's got books on it.

I can tell you also that I would not call it

  • a cabinet: Cabinets usually have doors and are wall-hung or sit on the floor.
  • a cupboard: Cupboards are usually wall-hung and contain dishwares or foodstuffs
  • a curio cabinet: these usually have mirrored backs and glass doors
  • a display case: see curio cabinet. These usually have at least glass doors.
share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.