I live in Austin, Texas, which is important in that we don't receive much rain, and it's not very humid.
I was peeling paint off of the old drywall, and found what appears to be mold on the bottom of one of the exterior walls of my room. Some of it is beneath a window, but some is offset two feet or so on the other side of the same window.
Some of it coincides with what I believe to be old termite damage. It's clearly been patched, and the infestation is definitely inactive.
My suspicion is, since it's an old house, that there is no vapor barrier, and the mold is the result of condensation. I suppose it could also come from a leak in the window. The previous homeowner blew in insulation, and my understand is that without a vapor barrier, that can cause some condensation problems.
Is it worth it for me to just tear out the drywall, add a vapor barrier along just the one side of the room, and then insulate it? Or should I use some bleach to clean up the mold damage, cover it over with some Kilz, and paint?
The damage is clearly old -- probably around a decade. But now I'm thinking, well, I've got the paint off the wall, might as well. But I also have a tendency to take projects too far, so I could use a second opinion.