Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I've moved into a house, and am fitting a series of 5 halogen downlights beneath a shelving unit. The wall on which I am fitting it previously had an uplighter. I removed this so now have exposed live, neutral and (unsheathed) earth wires on the wall. This is already operated by a light switch on another wall.

The new lights I have come with a fitted fused (3 amp) plug. The instructions say if it is installed directly on a lighting circuit it will need a 5 amp fuse.

So - if I want to wire it directly, can I assume the lighting circuit is adequately protected since it already had a light fixture (is this standard?), or for this fitting do I need to install an (unswitched) fused spur or something similar to add the 5 amp protection?

To clarify, the 5 halogen lights are wired into one fitting with a transformer leading to one plug.

share|improve this question
From the OP's profile, the location appears to be the UK. – Vebjorn Ljosa Aug 29 '12 at 8:54
Thanks Vebjorn - yes, Scotland. – waj Aug 29 '12 at 8:57
@Tester101 outside of a plug? In a spur then? Here's the product link (this might not be the exact model). Its instructions were a bit brief and I want to be sure. – waj Aug 29 '12 at 11:40
Not exactly. The plug itself is fused with 3A, which is then connected to the primary of the transformer. I want to remove the plug. Would these lights require a fuse when the previous did not, or is this just a precaution? – waj Aug 29 '12 at 12:52
@Tester101 thanks. So I can assume the lighting circuit isn't itself fused, that this is conventional and that the previous light was deliberately unfused? – waj Aug 29 '12 at 14:36
up vote 2 down vote accepted

Comments converted to answer.

If the manufacturer says they need a fuse, then I'd probably install a fuse. Just install a 5A fuse before the transformer, and make sure it's accessible in some way.

The light circuit is probably on a fuse/breaker at the service panel, but since you are using a transformer to step down to low voltage a fuse may be required to protect the transformer and low voltage wiring. The fuse/breaker in the main panel will probably be 15-20A; since it's designed to protect a normal line voltage lighting circuit, so you'll need another 5A fuse before the step down transformer to protect the transformer and everything downstream from it.

share|improve this answer
I will attach a 5 amp fuse, thanks @Tester101 – waj Aug 29 '12 at 16:33
@Tester101, what's the proper fuse holder to use in this situation? And does it go inside a junction box? – ArgentoSapiens Aug 29 '12 at 18:18
@ArgentoSapiens Not sure, I'd have to do some research on that. Typically there would be parts supplied with the equipment, if this was a typical/valid installation method. – Tester101 Aug 29 '12 at 19:26
@ArgentoSapiens I intend to use a fused spur (or FCU) and place it below my shelving unit. That way I have access to a plate with the fuse in case anything goes awry. They seem to generally be available with a 13A limit, which is more than enough for my needs. – waj Aug 30 '12 at 9:08

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.