Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I am building a brick smoker and need to seal between the door (a small panel on the top of the firebox) and the bricks.

What kind of material is appropriate here? I was thinking some kind of flexible rubber gasket, maybe the kind used to make custom gaskets for engines?

share|improve this question
Have you considered removing and re-using the seals from an old oven? – Steven Aug 29 '12 at 2:49
I would not use any gaskets that are made for engines as they probably off gas some nasty stuff when heated. Look for something that is food safe, not sure it needs to be high heat safe since smoking doesn't use high heat. – Gunner Aug 29 '12 at 3:09
up vote 1 down vote accepted

You might try something like this: Woodstove Gasket It worked well on my woodstove.

share|improve this answer
Perfect, thanks. From there I found the term 'rope gasket' which in conjunction with RV seal maker (what I was originally thinking) should do the job nicely. – Tim Brigham Aug 31 '12 at 1:04

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.