Suddenly my gas range/stove emits a kerosene-like odor when I operate the stove, and especially when I operate the oven -- but our service is natural gas.
I called the local gas utility, and they sent a tech out. The tech said there were no leaks. He inspected all around the house, replaced the service meter (the old one was vintage 1981) and poked around with a sniffer to look for, I presume, underground leaks.
He asked if I had painted or cleaned anything lately. I haven't. No paint, no cleaners, etc. I did clean the range top about a week ago, but I used the same stuff I always use and have never had this gas-like smell before. Furthermore I have not cleaned the oven.
The scent is nauseatingly strong when I operate the oven, but still present when I only operate the range.
I read on some forums that the oven igniter might be bad, but all the stove burners and the oven light quickly as they always have.