Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Yesterday I combined pieces of furniture into a whole desk.

But how are the holes in furniture dug in the first place?

share|improve this question
Can you add a picture of what you're referring to? – Dennis Williamson Sep 5 '10 at 15:10
up vote 5 down vote accepted

Are you referring to a pilot hole? You can use a drill and a drill bit that is slightly smaller than the bore of the screw and create a hole for the screw to use. The screw will still bite into the wood, but won't displace as much material, and the screw will follow the hole for a straighter drive. Using a pilot hole will reduce the chances of cracking the wood and mis-driving the screw.

share|improve this answer
And in some case, the holes might be counter-bored or countersunk, depending on what type of screws you're using. – Joe Sep 7 '10 at 13:54

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.