Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is it possible to fuse sheets of the galvanized sheet metal that they sell at the hardware store for roofing together so that it is water tight?

I was thinking that this may be able to be accomplished with the same flux and solder used to fuse copper pipes, but I'm not sure.

The reason I am doing this is that I'm hoping to make some water tight trays that potted plants can be placed in.

share|improve this question
I'd rivet them together, then get that spray-on-rubber coating to make it waterproof. – DA01 Aug 12 '12 at 0:23
Spray-on ribber coating? Where do I find it? – Chris Dutrow Aug 12 '12 at 0:25
You can find it at most hardware stores. Saw a bunch at Home Depot today. It's often used for gutter repairs. – DA01 Aug 12 '12 at 3:04
up vote 6 down vote accepted

You can make watertight trays from flat sheet metal without soldering or riviting.

Take a sheet of metal whose

  • length is the length of the finished tray plus two time the height of the sides;
  • width is the width of the finished tray plus two time the height of the sides.

Fold the sheet so it ends up looking like this:


You can fold up one side at a time using a piece of wood (maybe 1x2), a bit shorter than the length of the side you are working on, as a bending edge.

Work around the piece, clockwise or counterclockwise.

You will have to work the angle fold in the corners as you move to each successive side. The angle corners will point outward initially. Then you bend them inward toward the short end.

All edges will end up at the height of the sides with no seams. The easiest kind of waterproof.

share|improve this answer
Wow, brilliant. Thanks so much! – Chris Dutrow Aug 12 '12 at 3:32

Soldering galvanized sheeting is definitely possible, but with a lot of gotchas. Things like, you must use the right flux and the right solder and you must use a copper soldering iron, and if it's not the correct type of galvanizing, then it can't be soldered. So while soldering is the ideal method, it's a long shot. See: here

short of that, I personally would use STEEL rivets to build the box, and then use something like JB Weld to fill in the joints. The JB weld will provide both structural strength and waterproofing. Don't use aluminum rivets, as they'll corrode due to galvanic reaction.

share|improve this answer

Bread Tin Corner. How to make a water holding container without needing to solder it has been an age old necessity. You'll still see them used in cheaper bread pans, though hydroforming or stamping have taken over for the most part. Bread Pan layout

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.