Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

One of the answers for another question of mine recommended using a finishing bit in my router to leave about 1/16" protrusion remaining to be sanded. When I search for "finishing bit" though I can't seem to find anything labeled like that for sale. Is there another term I could look for, or does "finishing bit" just refer to a particular configuration of another bit?

share|improve this question
up vote 1 down vote accepted

Not sure. We get our flush bits sharpened which takes down the blades which doesn't cut flush anymore.

What you can do is change the bearing to a different diameter.

share|improve this answer

There are dozens of types of router bits. You are probably looking for a flush cutting or chamfer bit. If you look at a site like Rockler woodworking or just google "types of router bits" you will find many sites with large selections. Even the box stores like Lowes and HD have a decent selection of basic bits.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.