Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is there an international standard that specifies the size of the grounding conductor to bond a metallic part of the installation to a grounding bar?.

And to connect the grounding bar to the grounding rod?.

share|improve this question

migrated from electronics.stackexchange.com Jul 1 '12 at 19:03

This question came from our site for electronics and electrical engineering professionals, students, and enthusiasts.

What is "the installation"? – Justin May 2 '12 at 13:46
What's the difference between grounding bar and grounding rod? – Federico Russo May 2 '12 at 13:52
@FedericoRusso - I think it's safe to presume that this is an electrical panel which will contain a rectangular bar with holes and screw clamps. A wire runs from this bar to a long copper rod which is physically pounded into the dirt (aka 'ground'). The question is about the appropriate sizing of these bars, rods, and wires. For example, a typical 60A residential panel in the US requires a 10-gauge wire, and a 100A panel requires an 8-gauge per the US National Electrical Code. No idea about international standards, though. – Kevin Vermeer May 2 '12 at 15:01
Hi @justin, when I say "a metallic part of the installation", I mean any metallic stuff as the steel structure of the building, the case of the electrical panels, etc. – miguelao75 May 4 '12 at 13:13
No international standards, follow the electric code for your region/ – Steven Jul 1 '12 at 19:32

If you are in the US, you'll likely follow National Electrical Code (NEC).

Lets start with some definitions.

NEC 2008

Bonding Jumper, Main. The connection between the grounded circuit conductor and the equipment grounding conductor at the service.

Grounding Conductor. A conductor used to connect equipment or the grounded circuit of a wiring system to a grounding electrode or electrodes.

Grounding Conductor, Equipment (EGC). The conductive path installed to connect normally non–current carrying metal parts of equipment together and to the system grounded conductor or to the grounding electrode conductor, or both.

Grounding Electrode. A conducting object through which a direct connection to earth is established.

Grounding Electrode Conductor. A conductor used to connect the system grounded conductor or the equipment to a grounding electrode or to a point on the grounding electrode system.

and a picture to help make things a bit more clear.

enter image description here

The size of the Main Bonding Jumper, Grounding Electrode Conductor, and Grounded Electrode is defined by table 250.66

NEC Table 250.66

The size of Equipment Grounding Conductors (the ones that run from the Ground bus bar out with each circuit), is defined by table 250.122.

NEC Table 250.122

share|improve this answer

There are various international standards that are trending towards "homologation" or which are being reissued under other standard numbers with no technical changes. BUT what applies currently varies by country and as grounding bars and rods all lead to ground in the country where the installation is (with a few very very unusual exceptions)(CERN would be interesting :-)) you need to check the regulations in the country of interest.

share|improve this answer
Hi @Russell, thanks for your post. any idea of which applies to USA? – miguelao75 May 4 '12 at 13:17

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.