Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I made a stupid mistake and placed a hot pan on the kitchen counter top directly, which made a small burn and a bigger bump filled with air that cracked after a little while.

I don't know much about kitchens, and I can't tell what the material is.

Is there a way to fix this?

share|improve this question

That's a laminate countertop. You may want to try to use a repair compound like SeamFill or FormFill Laminate Repair - the damaged spot is small enough where it may work. You'll need to remove the blistered material with a sharp knife before applying the compound. Instructions for application, complete with '70s style cartoons, can be found here.

If the results aren't satisfactory, you will need to cut out a section to install an inset cutting board, or re-laminate the countertop - neither option is simple or easy.

share|improve this answer
I'd add that since the edge appears rolled, this is probably what's called a "postform" laminate countertop where the laminate is applied under pressure to conform to the curved surface of the substrate. So re-laminating probably won't be an option. An extra quick and dirty variation on the cutting board idea would be to use silicone to glue a nice cutting board over the damage. – Mike Powell Jun 1 '12 at 17:37
or just SET a cutting board on top. – DA01 Jun 1 '12 at 22:33

On the plus side, you ruined the least expensive type of countertop--laminate. How big is that particular section of counter top? Might be easiest to just replace that section.

share|improve this answer

SeamFil (Laminate Repair goop) and FormFil (Color matched caulk) would not work well in this situation. Since just the laminate color layer blistered and is very thin, they will "come out" given time. Now, unless you have access to a postform machine (which is basically a big really hot table) and unless you want to pay to get it re-laminated, there is only one thing you can really do, cut it out. Cut out a piece of plywood a bit bigger than the damaged area and place it over the damage area and with a really sharp razor run the knife along the plywood to score the laminate (try to make straight cuts), you will need to do this a few times to get through the laminate, not many since the postform laminate is less than a 1/16 of an inch. Since you probably don't have laminate lying around and it looks white, I am going to take a guess they just used thin Designer White (Wilsonart 354), you could go to a local cabinet/counter shop and ask for a small piece, or if not 354, bring the piece you just cut out. If the shop has been around for a while, they have tons of laminate in stock and should be able to match it. Take the same piece of ply and cut out a square of lam from the new piece, and place it in. You can use carpenters glue or contact adhesive. Oh, yeah don't forget to remove the cut out laminate. You can use a heat gun to soften the glue underneath but be careful of the surrounding lam.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.