Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

My last faucet started to leak, so I just bought a new Moen one. I just about got it installed, but when I tried to hook up the water lines, I have two female connectors that don't seem to like each other.

The faucet I was replacing (also a Moen), had a metal pipe with a male connector. However, the new one has a supply line hose with a female connector at the end. The water line is a pex plastic tube with a female connector at the end.

Do I need some sort of adapter?

share|improve this question
Are there shutoff valves under the sink? Typically the incoming water lines would connect to a shutoff valve, then the fixture supply lines would connect to the other side of the valve. – Tester101 May 31 '12 at 16:17
That's the problem, I don't have shutoff valves there, there are just rubber tubes (called "pex" according to my plumber uncle) coming out the wall that run all the way down to a manifold in the basement. – Mike Mooney May 31 '12 at 16:53
Then instead of using a straight adapter, I'd install a shutoff valve instead. Something like this . – Tester101 May 31 '12 at 17:05
up vote 6 down vote accepted

Faucets are usually 3/8, so you would need a 3/8 brass nipple

enter image description here

If not, they sell many different size brass nipples.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.