Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I am trying to Support a little 8x12 pre-existing roof with 4x4's. there are 2x4 plates where I am trying to support, the 4" side down. I would rather not just toenail the 4x4 to the plate, and I know there are brackets, braces, plates, what have you, out there to buy. I have never bought these before so I'm looking for the name of the bracket I am looking for so i can find it in the store. Again, I need to attach a 4x4 post to a 2x4 plate with the 4" side going to sit on top of the 4x4 post.

share|improve this question
up vote 2 down vote accepted

Something like this?

enter image description here

A framing angle.

Home Depot and Lowes both will have them or similar in the lumber departments.

share|improve this answer

Simpson Strong-Tie has a vast selection of product like this. http://www.strongtie.com/ has a downloadable PDF catalog.

What you're looking for is known as a post cap like the following and is used to tie a vertical post to a top plate. They're also available at Ace Hardware and Do-It-Best affiliate stores. Use the standard high-shear strength Teco nails to fasten them to both wood members. These are used because the bracket puts them under a shear load and standard length 16d nails weaken the wood and cause it to split. enter image description here

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.