Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

On the back of our fridge is a drainage tube (I assume it's for the ice maker; correct me if i'm wrong). Whenever water drains out of it, it leaks. I've identified that the source of the problem is a sort of coupler in the middle of the tube. (I'm not sure what it's called)

coupler thingy for fridge

I've fiddled with it a little bit but I can't seem to get it to stop leaking. Is there a trick to tighten it? Or should I buy a new one? (If so, anyone know where I can get one?)

share|improve this question
(if someone could retag this if appropriate that would be great. I was sort of at a loss as to what to tag it with) – Thomas Shields May 5 '12 at 18:17
up vote 2 down vote accepted

Keep in mind there is a lot of pressure in the water line. I don't like using the plastic tubing that comes with the fridges, I use copper lines only. I would change the tubing from that connector to the water line with 1/4" copper tubing and a brass compression fitting to replace that plastic one. A compression fitting like this one will do nicely.A brass insert, like this one is used to connect the plastic pipe to one side. enter image description here enter image description here

share|improve this answer
We just went to Ace Hardware and the guy told us the same thing. We got the same exact parts! Turns out though, the problem was more than just the connector; it leaked at the exit from the fridge, so we'll definitely replace it with copper tubing. Thanks! – Thomas Shields May 5 '12 at 21:05

We know them as "John Guest" (The Brand Name) fittings and they are prone to leaking as its only an o-ring sealing the fitting to the pipe, if the pipe has a scratch on it or isn't fully inserted it can leak.

They also can be fitted with a collar clamp that holds the release mech ( the red part in this fitting) from accidentally being pushed down and releasing the pipe from the fitting.

The Locking Clamp

You can also get brass fitting for use with "John Guest" pipe, you can see them at the offical website.

share|improve this answer
In addition to UNECS's good suggestion, if re-cutting the line (to fix scratch issue) nor adjusting the clamp fitting fix the issue, replacing the connector is an additional quick fix. Watts also makes these (watts.com/pages/_products_details.asp?pid=6681), and they sell at most hardware stores. – Dolan Antenucci Jun 21 '13 at 13:52

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.