Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have a kitchen cabinet with 18" drawers, with slides on the side. The internal depth of them is 23" as is the length of the part of the slide mounted to cabinet.

The inside of my cabinet looks like this: inside of my cabinet

My drawer looks like this: side view of drawer

I wish to replace the slides because the rear mount is cracked like so: cracked rear mount

So my question is will this 22" slide, this rear bracket and this frame mounting bracket work? There only seems to be 22" and 24" brackets and I assume I am somehow measuring wrong.

Replacing just the bracket is an option, but quite frankly none of my drawers in my kitchen slide very smoothly so I'm looking to replace all of them.

share|improve this question
Can you replace the broken mount instead of replacing the entire slide? I had a mount fail as well and was able to find a replacement part at the local hardware store. – Kevin Pullin Mar 26 '12 at 5:46
Kevin, that's an option,but quite frankly the drawer does not slide very smoothly, so doing that won't give me the "good as new" satisfaction. – Justin Dearing Mar 26 '12 at 10:09
up vote 3 down vote accepted

I would use the correct size. Here is an 18" one. The 22" will be to long for the draw.

If you use the 18" it will fit the draw, but you will likely need to add wood to the side to allow a place to screw the track into.

EDIT: You need to add a piece of wood to the side of the cabinet. That wood could be glued and clamped until set. Then screw the side track to that piece of wood.

You may be able to add a board stretching from side to side, then screw the end of the 18" track into that.

I see no easy way unless you find a place that sells that exact slide.

One more thought: If you used the 22" slide and just fastened the first 18" that came in contact with the draw. It may mean drilling new holes in the slide however if the design is like I think it is, I think that would work. Then you could attach the slide to the front and back as original.

share|improve this answer
Steve, so where do I mount the back of the slide to? – Justin Dearing Mar 26 '12 at 13:53
@Justin - Please see my edit. – SteveR Mar 26 '12 at 14:04
So its not normal to put 18" drawers into 23" deep cabinets? – Justin Dearing Mar 26 '12 at 14:05
I have not been able to find a slide like the one you have, but that does not mean they don't exist. If I were doing it, I would do as I said because I think it is a sturdy solution. Only it involves more work. Maybe someone can point to a link that has what you need. – SteveR Mar 26 '12 at 14:10
I had another thought, please see my edit. – SteveR Mar 26 '12 at 14:17

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.