Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I am making hurricane panels for my house using the technique described here.

The plywood I purchased is pressure treated. The sliding bolts are zinc, so I assume the screws that came with them are also zinc. Is this ok, or should I be using different screws and/or bolts?

share|improve this question
up vote 13 down vote accepted

They are not actually zinc, but zinc-coated steel, also known as galvanized steel.

The treated-wood industry recommends the use of hot-dip galvanized or stainless steel fasteners for use with treated wood. Electroplated/electro-galvanized and mechanically-galvanized coatings should not be considered to be hot-dip galvanized. (Class 55, or higher, mechanical galvanizing provides galvanizing equivalent to the hot-dip galvanizing used on connectors and fasteners.)

Source: Strong-Tie's pressure-treated wood FAQ, which has additional information about various kinds of pressure-treated wood, galvanized steel, and stainless steel.

share|improve this answer
+1 definitely hot-dipped galvanized steel. If you don't, the screws will rust and rot. Just did this when I built my extra room. – Brian Aug 18 '10 at 18:59

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.