Take the 2-minute tour ×
Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I want to convert my room into sound proof room, as I watch movie on my PC. I want to have a theater like effect so that I can watch at high volume.

share|improve this question
After you price acoustic foam resist the temptation to use inexpensive foam of the same pattern.If you are going to cover the walls and ceiling make sure it is treated with a fire retardent.Google station night club fire if you think it doesnot matter. –  mikes Mar 18 '12 at 23:06

2 Answers 2

up vote 1 down vote accepted

For soundproofing rooms to act as recording studios Acoustic Foam is generally used. You can get boards built incorporating foam into reasonably inoffensive panels, or you could just use it in its raw form if your main aim is just soundproofing. Rugs and curtains also help cut down sound.

You can do similar things with the floor and ceiling.

Of course doing this will make your room very dry acoustically, so unless you have the home cinema in use it will not be as nice a room for normal purposes - sounds will be deadened etc.

Finally - the usual caveat: watching at high volume is never recommended :-)

share|improve this answer
My high volume is not loud but only that sound is clear :) Thanks for your suggestion , I ll check price for that foam in my area –  livinggourmand Mar 18 '12 at 9:16

It depends on how much work you want to do. Roxul makes a product called "safe and sound" that is a sound deadener and placed in the wall cavities behind the drywall.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.