Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have a few interior doors that do not latch closed because the bolting mechanism and latch hole are vertically misaligned. If I remove the strike plate I can extend the size of the latch hole, but then one of the screw holes of the strike plate ends up over the (now bigger) latch hole and the screw won't hold.

(Note: I don't want to move the door hinges since the doors align nicely in the casings.)

share|improve this question
how much is the misalignment? also a longer screw will go in the stud and hold even if the old latch hole is there – ratchet freak Mar 7 '12 at 20:09
up vote 12 down vote accepted

If you can, glue a plug into the latch hole and similarly drill out the existing screw holes with a 1/4" bit and glue plugs of 1/4" dowel into them.

Now you have a blank slate to re-locate the strike plate wherever you want to. Use a spade bit for the latch hole (3/4" or 7/8" or 1" - use the whatever is closest to the size of the strikeplate hole).

share|improve this answer
Thanks, this worked out pretty well. I should mention that the strike plate is recessed into the casing so that the plate and casing surfaces are flush. This means that there is now a half inch of indentation above the strike plate from its old location. However, after a bit of paint it is barely noticeable. – Henry Mar 11 '12 at 13:57
What exactly is a plug? – ashes999 Apr 18 '14 at 16:47

You can put in a "dutchman" into the existing hole in the jamb and then rebore the hole / mortise the strike.

A dutchman is nothing more than a wood "patch". If you have a Fein Multimaster type tool (oscillating saw), it's pretty easy to do - especially if it's paint grade trim.

share|improve this answer

The answers above are the correct and proper ways.

However, an alternative way is to temporarily screw a piece of 3/4" wood over the new hole location and drill from there. The plywood will keep your hole saw straight. Then you can purchase an oversized plate made for the thickness of your door that wraps around the strike. Doesn't look good, makes it look like you repaired door when after it got kicked in.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.