Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

We put up two old french doors, and at the top they each have a spring loaded metal ball that supposedly keeps the doors shut. I believe they are supposed to slide up against something when they are closed. But I'm not sure what to get for the doorway, whether something exists, or if I have to make something myself. I'll include this picture, sorry for the poor quality.

enter image description here

share|improve this question
up vote 4 down vote accepted

There should be a Striker plate much like the ones on a standard doorway. Like this one

share|improve this answer

That spring loaded steel ball is known as a ball catch or sometimes as a bullet catch. If you search for either of those, you'll also find the matching strike plates that you need.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.