Take the 2-minute tour ×
Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. It's 100% free, no registration required.

If I was installing vapor barrier in Canada, I'd use Tuck® Contractors Sheathing Tape. However, after a trip to the local Home Depot (USA), I came up empty in my search for Tuck Tape.

I did find Tyvek® Tape, which is used to seal the seams of Tyvek® HomeWrap®.

Can Tyvek tape be used as a stand in for Tuck tape, or are there more appropriate products available?

share|improve this question
here I was thinking that duct tape was the goto tape for everything –  ratchet freak Feb 7 '12 at 18:11
Looks like canadian tire sells Tuck tape –  user9308 Nov 23 '12 at 1:42

1 Answer 1

up vote 9 down vote accepted

I too, was in search of Tuck Tape at Home Depot / Lowe's and couldn't find it. When I asked a salesman about it, they didn't understand what I was looking for.

When I said I wanted to seal the edges of vapor barrier, they told me to use the Tyvek tape, the same one you found.

Duct tape won't cut it; it's too porous. We used the Tyvek and it's worked well so far.

Don't use it on hard wood floors as painter's tape; it'll rip the polyurethane right off of the floor (lesson learned).

It is the opinion of the Canadian Construction Materials Centre (CCMC) that “Tuck® 205-02 Contractor's Sheathing Tape / DuPontTM Tyvek® Tape”, when used as a sheathing tape in accordance with the conditions and limitations stated in Section 3 of this Report, complies with the National Building Code 2005:


share|improve this answer
for the record I was making a joke –  ratchet freak Feb 7 '12 at 19:02
@ratchetfreak for sure; but too many people think duct tape solves everything. There's tape for duct work (which isn't duct tape), plastics, drywall, etc... Could you imagine someone using duct tape for taping seams on drywall? That would be funny. –  lsiunsuex Feb 8 '12 at 13:44
Can you provide any data to back up the HD associates claims that this is the proper product to use? –  Tester101 Feb 9 '12 at 18:28
Yes, actually, I can. Answer modified. –  lsiunsuex Feb 10 '12 at 12:32
Avtually The statement from the CCMC refers to exterior sheathing NOT interiror vapor barrier. The poster was asking about interior vapor barrier. –  user7436 Sep 14 '12 at 14:03

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.