Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Remodeling the bathroom. I want to put in a pocket door, centered, in a 60" opening. Is there a split door product available, that will work similar in principle to draw drapes?

To put the door in as planned, right now, the door opening is in the corner. I don't like it: at all. The contractor did not want to move electrical wiring to make room for the door on the side of 'opening' that had room to make the pocket door go where I wanted it.

share|improve this question
Since I don't much about the layout, there is an electrical code that has to be followed. Any wall over 2 feet must have a receptacle (210.52A). I don't know how this affects or counts with the hollowness of the pocket door. Maybe this is why the electrician didn't move it. The wall in my house that has the pocket doors are various and none of them have receptacles. One 45", all pocket door. Also, do yourself a favor and don't buy cheap hardware. Get the ones that you have to slide the rollers in through the end and designed not to pop out when a kid starts playing with it. – lqlarry Feb 4 '12 at 2:11
@lqlarry the 2 foot rule does not apply to bath rooms, or hallways, so that may not be the issue here. – Tester101 Feb 4 '12 at 15:57

You don't need a 'split door' but rather just two narrow pocket doors. A pocket door is just a regular door hung on a rail system. Buy two narrow doors, two pocket door rail systems, and you should be good to go.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.