Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I noticed a good sized hole in an exterior wall that allows wires and things to go from my AC unit into my basement.

The problem is that the hole is a good deal larger than it needs to be and there is nothing sealing the hole, so I can see sunlight clearly through the hole.

What should I use to fill this hole in my wall preserving the important stuff going through the hole?

Click for full size

hole in the wooden exterior wall

share|improve this question
Picture? What is going through the hole, how big is the hole? – auujay Feb 3 '12 at 22:17
Also, what material is used for the wall? – lqlarry Feb 4 '12 at 3:22
up vote 8 down vote accepted

I would use Duct Seal

enter image description here enter image description here

I'm surprised whoever installed the AC unit didn't use it, it's used all the time by Electricians and HVAC technicians.

It does not harden; so unlike foam, it can be easily removed and replaced if you have to add/remove wiring/plumbing.

share|improve this answer

Usually all that is needed is a good outdoors silicon caulk. You can get a clear type or a paint-able white type.

share|improve this answer
"Do your best and caulk the rest!" – auujay Feb 3 '12 at 22:39
I like 'great stuff' for this sort of application. try the 'doors and windows' version. – Trout Feb 3 '12 at 22:58
Foam gap fillers (like Great Stuff) are very useful but are not the best way to seal exterior surfaces, because they break down faster when exposed to sunlight and/or water. An exterior-grade caulk is the way to go for a longer-lasting seal. – Shimon Rura Feb 4 '12 at 7:10
Painted Great Stuff last much longer. – Bryce Sep 5 '12 at 7:57

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.