Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

We just bought a house where an old man lived for 27years. When he built the place, I doubt that he had any idea that the voids in the brick were weeping holes. I would like to fix them, but I'm not sure the best way to do it without hurting the bricks.

share|improve this question
Sounds like a job for the Doctor and his Tardis. – JohnFx Aug 11 '10 at 22:59
If only...(sigh) – Brandy Scott Aug 12 '10 at 14:03
Have they been intentionally sealed with something? Or just clogged with trash mortar? Or something else? What exactly is wrong that you're trying to repair? – Steve Armstrong Aug 12 '10 at 15:42
He has actually filled them in with mortar. It's not the same mortar used when the place was built and it looks messy. I would like to break it out so the weep hole are functional again. – Brandy Scott Aug 12 '10 at 16:36
up vote 2 down vote accepted

Use a Plugging Chisel.

A plugging chisel has a tapered edge for cleaning out hardened mortar. The chisel is held with one hand and struck with a hammer. The direction of the taper in the blade determines if the chisel cuts deep or runs shallow along the joint.

Plugging Chisel

share|improve this answer
Thanks!!! That sounds like exactly what I need. – Brandy Scott Aug 12 '10 at 17:34

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.