Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I want to run a 1.5" drain pipe along the wall about 2 feet from the floor to a microbrewery setup in the corner of my basement. I have sheets of fiberglass insulation against the walls though, and I don't want to remove them. What kind of hanger/ mount can I use to run it along the wall, but about 4-6 inches off the wall?

share|improve this question

They make shelf brackets that have a U shaped hook on the end away from the wall. I've seen them in a variety of sizes, down to about 6" (don't know about 4"). That would be pretty easy, just space some of those out at the height you want, then lay the pipe in the "trough" created by the hooks.

I guess they're called shelf and rod brackets. Here's a link, though it's probably too big for what you want.

This one looks perfect for what you want, but I don't see how to buy it..

Do a google search and a google image search for "rod bracket" "shelf and rod bracket" you'll see ones made for closets, but also others for curtain rods, which tend to project less from the wall. I did a search for '6" rod bracket' and saw many potentials, at a range of price points.

share|improve this answer
could you include a link to what you're talking about? I cannot seem to find anything like that. – Jeremy Holovacs Jan 26 '12 at 12:12
@JeremyHolovacs Searching for "curtain rod bracket" at my local HI store turns up lots of results. I'm pretty sure a walk down the hardware isle (where they have screws, hinges, and L-brackets) would also turn up a few results. – BMitch Jan 27 '12 at 13:08

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.