Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I found this in a closet behind something that a previous owner had nailed into a wall. It's inside a closet, so it doesn't have to look pretty, I just don't want it to keep crumbling. I was going to get some plaster adhesive and just fill it in. Any other tips or ideas?

enter image description here

share|improve this question
up vote 3 down vote accepted

I have had a lot of success in the past by using a mixture of PVA Glue and water and then painting the solution over the crumbling area. The glue gets absorbed into the crumbling surface and stabilises it. Then you can refinish with a thin coat of filler or plaster. It saves a lot of work.

share|improve this answer

You should first remove any loose debris before filling it. I would also advise removing the wall paper around the area you are patching. If you patch on top of the wallpaper, when you go to remove it you will end up damaging that spot again.

You will likely need a few applications to completely fill an area of that size.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.