Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have a kitchen faucet that is starting to move around in the hole cut in the counter top. I would like to figure out how to tighten it, but due to the location of drain pipes and the disposal I can't get my head back there. I can reach up, but I don't know what I am supposed to be doing.

I took a picture back there, but I am not really sure what I am supposed to do to tighten it.

enter image description here

enter code here

share|improve this question
What is the make of the faucet? Do you know the model name or number? A picture of the faucet itself might help. It looks to me like that silver rectangle is some sort of a clip. Is this a super-fancy faucet? I can't tell what the BX conduit is for, or where it is going? Are those the sprayer hoses? – Dave Nay Jan 16 '12 at 2:04
I am not sure of the make of the faucet. It was in the house when I bought it and I don't see anywhere that it is labeled. I added a photo of it though. The conduit is for the head of the faucet (it pulls out like a spray hose). – Kellenjb Jan 16 '12 at 2:15
up vote 6 down vote accepted

The tool you need to get behind the sink to tighten the retainer nut is called a basin wrench. You can buy them anywhere for $8 to $40. They swivel to fit and have extended handle so you can turn it from below the sink level. Yes, you have to do it by sense of feel, or position a mirror to help you see the nut. Google sink wrench or basin wrench and you will see dozens of them.

Plumb Pak PP840-7 11 Inch Basin Wrench $8 online

share|improve this answer
Thanks for the help. Guess I now need 1 more tool to add to my bag. – Kellenjb Jan 17 '12 at 15:27
Adding tools to your bag becomes an addiction when you own a house and DIY. LOL. But still cheaper and better than calling someone like me to bring my tool bag and leave you with a big bill...!!! – shirlock homes Jan 18 '12 at 10:58

It looks like a Moen to me. The end of the pull-out hose opposite from the sprayer head should be attached to a short length of threaded pipe. This threaded pipe also has a nut on it that holds the faucet tight to the counter top. I think this nut is usually tightened with a specialty tool that comes with the faucet, so it might be a bit inconvenient to do it with a standard basin wrench.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.