Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I am replacing rubber tread covers on an old wooden staircase. As far as I can tell, the old ones were simply glued on. They lasted about ten years before they started slipping and cracking where they were pushed over the edge of the actual tread by peoples' feet. I have two questions:

1- What kind of glue should I use for this project?
2- Do I need to strip off the old glue to get a good bond?

Quick answers would be greatly appreciated since I have a narrow window in which to finish this project. Thanks.

share|improve this question
up vote 3 down vote accepted

Sounds like you want to use contact cement. Make sure both surfaces are clean, apply contact cement, let it set up, and then put the rubber onto the wood.

share|improve this answer
So you're saying I would have to strip the wood, correct? – Yitzchak Jan 15 '12 at 17:59
Strip it or sand it down for the best results. – chris Jan 15 '12 at 21:48
Thank you very much. Still haven't started yet, delivery delay. – Yitzchak Jan 23 '12 at 17:40

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.